View the embedded image gallery online at:
The former residence of the President of the Republic of Lithuania
History of the Presidential Palace
- Construction of the future presidential palace began in the middle of the XIX century. In 1869 the chancery of the Kaunas provincial administration set itself up here.
- On February 16, 1918, the Council of Lithuania declared Lithuania an independent state. In 1919 the capital was transferred from occupied Vilnius to Kaunas and the Chancery of the President moved into this former governor’s palace on September 1st.
- From 1919 to 1940, all three presidents resided in this palace: Antanas Smetona (1919-1920 and 1926-1940), Aleksandras Stulginskis (1922-1926), Kazys Grinius (June-December, 1926).
- The Last Meeting of the government of the Republic of Lithuanian took place in the Presidential Palace on June 15, 1940.
- After the Soviet ocupation a Pioneers’ palace was established in the palace; from 1955 on it was the Teachers’ House.
- After the restoration of Lithuanian independence in 1990, the palace passed to the Vytautas Magnus War Museum. The building underwent a major restoration.
- On July 3, 2005, Lithuanian President Valdas Adamkus officially transferred the Historical Lithuanian Presidential Palace to the M. K. Ĉiurlionis national art museum. On July 5 the Historical Presidential Palace opened its doors to the public.